Friday, August 21, 2009

Even when I'm miles at sea

The library is like an indulgent aunt that will give you whatever you want, as long as whatever you want is always books and movies. This isn't all I ever want, but enough of it to matter. And while I am mostly happy to be unemployed for a few weeks, using the library every day makes me feel like I haven't gone entirely off the grid. I put on a nice dress, I brush out my hair, I look for jobs and make requests. I move and shake.

But when I don't move and shake, I listen to Double Fantasy in my apartment. I like it as a record of mutual adoration but also because it so directly precedes this cataclysmic event in Yoko Ono's personal history. Yoko singing "Hard Times Are Over" inspires a wincing kind of empathy in me. She had no idea because nobody ever does.

No comments:

Post a Comment